Monday, February 9, 2015

I Got the One Year Old Blues


It's like one second your staring at this bundle of joy in your arms; so fragile and tiny. The moment you have been waiting for nine long months is presented right in front of you. Your whole heart is aching because it is filled with so much love and admiration. You kiss the forehead of your baby boy or girl and make that seldom promise to protect him or her for this day on, forever.

At least that is how I felt when I had my son Cj over a year ago. The day we had his first birthday I found myself thinking back "Man, where did that time go?" They weren't kidding when they said that time flies by, that they grow up quick/ Now here I am with a sixteen month old finding myself already trying to freeze time and reverse age. So many milestones happened in that first year. My son learned how to hold his head, sit up, crawl, play with toys, babble and walk. It all just flew by so quickly. Now I am stuck with these what I like to call "one year old baby blues".

As excited as I am to welcome in the future that is in store for me and my son, I can't help but to be sad. Here is how I knew my son was growing up too quickly:

1. He copies everything that I do-- No really, he is like a little parrot and it is kind of cute. It really became aware to me when I was cleaning my room one day to find my little man, make up brush in hand, pretending to put powder on his face. I had to laugh, from all the times that he has watched me do my make up it was funny to see him try to do the same. He even brushes his hair and sits when he has to go to the bathroom  (even though he is still in diapers).

2. I don't remember the last time he was still. It is like he went from crawling to running, no in between. I can't keep my eyes off of him for more than two minutes without him getting into something he isn't suppose to be getting in to. It is both a blessing and a curse. I promote his curiosity but forget multitasking or having any energy after following him around all day. What happened to the days when I could put him in his pack n play and all was good in the world?

3. He calls me mom! This is my favorite perk, before he couldn't even speak. Now whenever he sees me or wants something he goes "mom, mom, mom." I love it! I love knowing that he acknowledges me and knows that I am his mom. It definitely is enough to make my day and make me cry at the same time.

4. He is officially considered a Toddler. My baby is no longer considered a newborn. Now he is a toddler and that is a milestone I was just not ready to achieve. It is definite proof that my baby is growing up. In my head he is still that fragile newborn I gave birth to over a year ago. I am not ready to accept that he is anything else. No thank you,

5. He has his own personality. More and more I am realizing how much of his own little person my son is. Before I only imagined who my little one would turn out to be, but now I can see it. My little boy is crazy. He likes to yell, play, give kisses, and is cuddly when he is sick. He is loud and proud and fears nothing. My little boy is his own person and that is awesome.

What made you realize your little one is growing up? It is ok to admit that you have the one year old blues.

1 comment:

  1. My littlest turned a year old in May. I feel like it was just yesterday that he was an itty bitty newborn. Now, he runs and sings and talks a bit. I am expecting my 4th child in November, so I didn't really have a chance to get the blues. I definitely got them with my first two children.

    ReplyDelete